Over on my Instagram stories the other day, I asked you guys for ideas on what 25 things to write about in honour of my quarter century crisis on August 21. One really stuck out to me and I loved the fitting suggestion, so thank you to Mani aka @itsmanibel for the cool idea! So without further ado, here are 25 extra cheesy things (in no particular order,) I would tell my younger self:
25. Don’t let one thing ruin the rest of your day. It’s just a drop of orange juice (with pulp) in the ocean. FYI I hate pulp.
24. Life is not a race. You might be ahead in some aspects and “behind” from society’s constructed norms, but it doesn’t make your life off track.
23. It’s not about the numbers. Sure it would be great to have a million followers or lots of friends and money, but quantity is meaningless without quality. I will still accept a million dollars any day though.
22. Always make the bed. The day is off to a better and fresh start already. It sets the tone for the rest of your actions.
21. Don’t give someone the world if they won’t give up theirs.
20. Better to be single and happy than force yourself into something just for the sake of being in “something.”
19. Patience might be a virtue but don’t wait around expecting the world to change for you. Sometimes you have to bring the mountain to Muhammad.
18. Don’t whiten your face or facetune your body. All you are doing is disservice to your self perception and confidence – it can lead to harmful practices.
17. Life is too short to hold grudges. It’s unhealthy to hold onto anger for so long. Remember you have the choice to be angry or let it go.
16. Being passive will let others control you and manipulate you. Don’t be afraid to stand up for what you believe in.
15. It’s okay to feel like shit. It’s not okay to repress and try to feel like everyone’s cheerleader. Give yourself social space like NASA – thanks Ariana.
14. You are not the only person in the world (DUH). It’s typically a Leo thing to make everything about yourself but remember to check in with others first before going off about yourself.
13. Real friends will take the initiative to be a part of your life if you fall off the radar.
12. Your family might not be perfect or plentiful but they’re yours. Make the most of the time you have with them.
11. There is nothing wrong with being in love with yourself (not in that way, you weirdos). Trust me, confidence is one of the sexiest vibes you can put out into the universe.
10. If they don’t give you the same feeling like when you see your food coming at the restaurant, it ain’t strong enough.
9. Be weird. Heck, be weirder. Young kids (and emphasis on YOUNG) will always single out the black sheep because they are afraid of being different. As you get older, being the black sheep is what makes you stand out.
8. If you live by the judgment of others then you will never be content with yourself. Learn to appreciate your strengths and have confidence in everything you do.
7. Send the damn text. Who cares if it’s too much. If it came to your mind, it’s who you are. Don’t hide behind sugar-coated words. After all, honesty is the best policy.
6. If you don’t fit in with one group, that’s okay. You don’t want to be in a group of people that is only luke warm/mildly toasty and probably won’t give you a kidney if you needed it
5. Your kindness is not always rewarded but know that it is appreciated. Every act of kindness is good for the soul.
4. There are some things you can’t control and it makes you anxious but it’s a waste of time to stress + worry lines ain’t cute
3. Don’t apologize for not feeling comfortable. Your sanity comes first. Don’t be pressured into something if it’s not worth the discomfort.
2. Take a risk or change it up every so often. Your world won’t fall apart if you try a new lunch place or take a new route. There’s so much in the world to discover!
1. You are a queen. Don’t ever let anyone make you feel like any less. Wear the crown, wear the gown and be proud.
Hope you guys enjoyed this motivating, albeit cheesy birthday blog. Let me know which one resonated with you or what you would tell your younger self.
Thank you guys for supporting my writing and Instagram (@byallmeens). It really Meens a lot. If you can, I would also appreciate if you could support my birthday fundraiser for the Canadian Association of Mental Health here
Until next time,
I’ll be 25 and thrive